project idea is using a bulk of leftover paint to spruce up your home with some
color? These five easy paint project ideas (plus some bonus inspiration) will
give your leftover paint some purpose -- and give a room a fresh look to boot. (One
gallon = 4 quarts or 8 pints.)
project idea No. 1: Use a full gallon of leftover paint to …
Create an interesting wainscoting effect by painting the lower half of the wall around a room with a contrasting or complementary hue. Use painter’s tape to make a clean line, or use a rag or dry brush to blur the edges between the two colors for a funkier, more artistic finish.
project idea No. 2: Use a couple of quarts of paint to …
Rehab old wooden or metal furniture. Keep an eye out for wood rockers, kitchen chairs, vintage bureaus, washstands or small tables at flea markets and yard sales. With a fresh coat of paint, these pieces can be a simple way to add personality to a room.
Paint project idea No. 3: Use a quart of paint to …
Paint the inside of a cabinet, armoire, closet or even drawers for an unexpected pop of color when the doors are opened. Bonus: Using a light color makes it easier to see into the back corners.
project idea No. 4: Use a pint or two of paint to …
With painter’s tape and a ruler, create a graphic mural of squares, rectangles or triangles. Also try painting square wood panels to add a pop art element to any room.
Photo: YOLO Colorhouse
project idea No. 5: Use remnants of leftover paint to …
Unleash your inner artist. Use the remnants of a can of paint to make a few bold strokes on craft paper or poster board. Or try your hand at spin art using a spin art machine. Sign and frame!
Want more fun DIY paint project ideas? Try these! If you have …
A gallon of paint:
- Paint an accent wall to act as a focal point for a room or define a space.
- Brighten a narrow or dark hallway with a vivid hue.
A quart or two of paint:
- Paint a 4-inch-wide chair rail around a room to create an accent. (The rule of thumb is to paint it about one-third of the way up from the floor.)
- Paint a faux headboard for your bed. Keep it simple with a rectangular shape, or add drama with an elegant arched top.
A pint or two of leftover paint:
- Paint the inside of a metal medicine cabinet with a bright, cheery hue.
- Paint just the drawer facades of a bureau for an unexpected pop.
- Paint the edges of a bookcase to add definition and make a bold, visual pattern.
- Create a simple stencil to make a frame around an inset shelf or niche.
- Freshen up the frame of an old mirror.
- Coat the inside of clear glass bottles, vases or jars with paint to make glossy, colorful decorative accessories.
Check out below for a related video from our sponsor:
If you'd like to see more how to videos, check out our sponsor video section here.